I am a documentary and fine art photographer with an interest in architecture, history and urban themes. Some photographers travel to the ends of the earth in search of pictures. I enjoy looking for subjects close to home.
Born and raised in Brooklyn, my native turf is familiar yet mysterious to me and is one of my favorite subjects. Author Thomas Wolfe once wrote, “Only the dead know Brooklyn.” That may be true, but I have not given up trying.
My work is exhibited in solo, group and juried shows and is displayed on an ongoing basis at the Long Island Photo Gallery in Islip, New York. See my Artist’s Page at Photo Art Pavilion. I am also working on books about New York City and Brooklyn.
As a newspaper staff photographer, I shot 25,000 frames of Brooklyn neighborhood life in the 1980s, a time capsule of the era that chronicles one of the first great waves of urban gentrification. This body of work, “Images from the Prospect Press,” has been exhibited at multiple New York area venues.
To discover what’s special in everyday life… that is my quest. “It’s as though there’s a wonderful secret in a certain place and only I can capture it; only at this moment, and only me.” I wish I had said that, but it was Walker Evans.
SELECTED EXHIBITS AND PUBLICATIONS
* “JUXTAPOSITION,” Third Place Excellence in Photography Award, Long Island Photo Gallery, 2019
* “THE LONG ISLAND LIFE,” juried group exhibit, Art League of Long Island, 2016
* LONG ISLAND PHOTO GALLERY, Islip NY, group and juried exhibits and artist page, 2012-present
* KINGS PARK HERITAGE MUSEUM, NY, vintage Brooklyn photographs solo exhibit, 2011
* BROOKLYN PUBLIC LIBRARY, Central Library, “Images from the Prospect Press” solo exhibit, 2009
* THE NEW YORK TIMES, photograph for story on Tom Knight, Brooklyn baseball historian, 2016
* BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, “The Gritty Days of Brooklyn, When The Newspaper was King,” 2009
* CRAIN’S NEW YORK BUSINESS, New York City, various editorial assignments, 1987-2001
* THE LONG ISLAND ASSOCIATION, Melville, NY, cover photography for annual directory, 1998
* NYC PARTNERSHIP & CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, various assignments, 1988-1995
* THE UNITED WAY, New York City, assignments and event coverage in New York City, 1987-1992
* HENRY STREET SETTLEMENT, New York City, “Neighbors: 1982-87” solo exhibit, 1987
* “DOCUMENT BROOKLYN,” juried project of 25 Brooklyn photographers, 1987
* SOHO PHOTO GALLERY, New York City, solo exhibit of 20 Brooklyn photographs, 1986
* BROOKLYN MUSEUM, “29 Photographers,” 1984
* QUEENS MUSEUM, New York, “MFA Graduates from Brooklyn College,” 1983
* AU COIN STUDIO, New York City, “Photographers in Focus,” 1981
* ELEVENTH STREET PHOTO GALLERY, New York City, four-person exhibit, 1980
* ALBANY INSTITUTE OF HISTORY & ART, “Artists of the Mohawk-Hudson Region,” 1975
* BASEBALL HALL OF FAME, Cooperstown, NY, permanent photography collection
* THE VILLAGE VOICE, NYC, assignments and stock photography of business and politics
* USA TODAY, story on Brooklyn entrepreneur who started New York sports magazine
* AUTOMOTIVE NEWS, portraits of industry leaders for Crain’s trade publication
* NEW YORK DAILY NEWS SUNDAY MAGAZINE, stories on gangs in Brooklyn
* AMERICAN POSTCARD COMPANY, postcards of kittens for nationwide distribution
* THE PROSPECT PRESS, staff photographer for Brooklyn-based newspaper, 1982-1987
MASTER OF FINE ARTS, Brooklyn College of CUNY, Documentary Photography, 1979
BACHELOR OF ARTS, The University at Albany, SUNY, Fine Art and Art History, 1975